I will always love you, I will always choose you.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Families are Forever

Today, I felt inspired to post about something very dear to me--and that is my forever family.

But, I felt the need to focus on my future forever family..


"Why are so many willing to give so much in order to receive the blessings of the temple? Those who understand the eternal blessings which come from the temple know that no sacrifice is too great, no price too heavy, no struggle too difficult in order to receive those blessings. There are never too many miles to travel, too many obstacles to overcome, or too much discomfort to endure. They understand that the saving ordinances received in the temple that permit us to someday return to our Heavenly Father in an eternal family relationship and to be endowed with blessings and power from on high are worth every sacrifice and every effort."

-President Thomas S. Monson


I'm taking a family foundations course here at BYU-ID, and it has really opened my eyes to the importance of family. Never in my life have I ever doubt the love that both my parents have for me; I was fortunate enough to grow up in a home where hugs, kisses, and "I love you's" are given out several times a day. Never did I wonder to myself, "Am I loved by my family?" For others, this isn't the case--and that breaks my heart. 

This week, in class, we talked about temple marriage, and the importance of those sacred covenants that we make with our spouse, and essentially our forever family..

The choices that I make now will affect my future family--that is something that I am continually reminded of each and every day..the older I get, the more important that becomes to me. I want my future kids to see me as a role model--and I know that in order for that to happen, I need to start becoming a role model now.

Its not always easy choosing the right..sometimes, you find yourself in hard spots, where your morals could easily have been compromised--but, I honestly believe that if you are able and willing to allow Christ in as the center of your life...the rewards will be unfathomable. When we choose to follow the commandments, we have great reason to rejoice!
When Alma was preaching the gospel in Melek, he went onward and was rejected in Ammonihah, he found himself down in the dumps--but was instructed by an Angel of the Lord to return to Ammonihah. When Alma followed this commandment, he was blessed..
"Blessed art thou, Alma, therefore, lift up thy head and rejoice, for thou hast great cause to rejoice; for thou hast been faithful in keeping the commandments of God from the time which thou receivedst thy first message from him..."

I was reading through my scriptures, and found this verse highlighted, and with the name "Genny" written over Alma..what an important reminder of what to expect when we are in-tune with the Spirit and promptings from the Lord. 

I love this gospel. I know Christ lives. I know that I am a daughter of God. I know that President Monson is a living prophet, and mouth-piece for the Lord. I know that missionary work is essential for all of our brothers and sisters to receive eternal salvation. I know that Heavenly Father knows my weaknesses, but I also know that he keeps in mind; my strengths, passions, love, and good doings. I know that if I continue to make righteous decisions, I can and will be rewarded with a forever family. I am so grateful for the spirit, and the promptings that I receive. 

“If ye love me, keep my commandments." This is the essence of what it means to be a true disciple: those who receive Christ Jesus walk with him.” 
― Dieter F. Uchtdorf




No comments:

Post a Comment